Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Horizons

Part 2 – The long thin line.

The sea is calm and I can see way out across the horizon, but no matter how tightly I hold my hands over my eyes to block the sun, I can’t see any further. I’ve been told many times about the worlds that exist beyond that fine line and I wonder whether my small canoe can take me there.

Behind me I can see my brother and sister in the garden. He’s busy building a bunker in the soil, while my sister watches him with a dolly in her arms. They call out to me and tell me to come back.

‘If Mama sees you’ve crossed the road to the beach, she’ll get the wooden spoon’

I sigh and turn my attention back to the ocean. The tide is getting low and the coral begins to expose itself in the sunshine. You can walk for miles when the tide recedes although each step needs careful calculation. Between the rocks are squidgy black sea cucumbers surrounded by starfish buried in the sand and spiky sea urchins that protrude from the coral.

Bending down, I collect a smooth stone into my small hands. Its surface has been worn soft by the crashing waves and moulded into a comfortable shape that looks pretty against the white sand. It’s my antithesis and I consider this for a while before crouching down low and skimming the stone out over the surface. It skips twice and sinks.

Time to go. Mama is coming out into the garden and I sprint across the street, poke my tongue out at my brother and race up to stand beside her.

‘Mama,’ I ask.

‘what will I be when I’m older?’

She looks at me and laughs.

‘Trouble’ is all she says.

Hi Corks,

It was so good to hear you voice last night. I wrote to everyone and told them how I squealed and bounced all over the bus seat. K was so pleased. She said that the two of you had talked a lot about business details and therefore hadn’t had time to chat chat. Next time you’ll have to remind yourselves to do that.

I haven’t had your mail yet. I ran home and dug around looking for it. G already knew and said ‘sorry baby, it hasn’t arrived yet’.

So, I have been really busy of late. I have a chance to do some freelance work (writing) after hours and on weekends, which would be so much better than part timing in the bar. Although I am a little nervous as it may be more than I can handle. All I can do is give them my copy test and see what happens. If they like it then I’ll have to deal with that then. The bar work kills me, but I do love it.

Well Possum, I better get back to it. Lunch is pretty much over and I need to finish early today so I can get home, finish my copy test, win the pitch for that freelance job and make lots of money. That way we can come to Bali.

I’m reading your letter to K now and I am smiling! It fills me with pride that no matter what obstacles our friend comes up against, he always meets them head on, shoulders back, chin up and smiling!

I miss you sweets.

Al

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker